Men Start Season with Tough Road Win – September 17, 2018

The 2018-2019 season is underway for the Doylestown Dragons. The result was business as usual for the defending 5th place team in the nation. 40-28 over a very tough squad in Old Gaelic. Regardless of the score, the game was a battle from the first whistle.

Scoring started after sloppy play on both sides kept possession near the center of the field. Quick turnover ball for Doylestown led to a dynamic line break and burst of speed from Dave Kornock. He left the opposition in his wake on his way to touching down between the posts. He converted his own score to make it 7-0. Within a few minutes, the Dragons were knocking on the Gaelic try zone again. After an intentional knock on, the Dragons went quick and replacement fly half D. Kornock put inside center Matt Frederick through for another score between the posts. Easy conversion for D. Kornock.

The next fifteen minutes involved a return to some of the negative habits of the Dragons. Penalties cost them over a short time and led to an Old Gaelic try off a repeated infringement of the offsides line from only 5 meters out. Within a few minutes Gaelic broke through again, this time it also cost the Doylestown lads their starting outside center as Steve Kornock was shown yellow for a high tackle in the try zone. Penalty try for Gaelic. Score 14-14. Doylestown down a man.

In the next minutes both teams traded blows back and forth. Kevin Reilly Jr. put new Dragon, Matt Hartwell down the wing and speed killed. 3/3 for Dave Kornock on conversions. The Gaelic response was not far behind though. With about 60 seconds left to play in the half the score was 21-21. Kicking was on point for both teams. Just as the whistle was about to blow Matt Frederick broke the line again on the wing and stepped through multiple tackles on his way to touching down in the corner.

As the halftime whistle blew the score sat at 26-21 Doylestown.

Both teams settled in a good bit in the second half. Substitutions were made on both sides and multiple Dragons saw their first league minutes. The half was kicked off by Eric French with a rumbling try much like so many of the ones he is known for. Due to injury, Steve Kornock stepped into the role of 10 and took over kicking detail. 33-21 Doylestown.

Gaelic wasn’t done yet. They had one more try in them. Conversion was no problem. 38-28 Doylestown. Despite a much improved defensive effort in the second half from the Dragons, the heat and humidity of the day was unexpected by both teams and conditioning and exhaustion took their toll.

The game was locked up with about 30 minutes to play when Max Compo, making up for some shaky plays earlier in the game, ran an absolutely lethal line through the defense and touched down between the posts from 30-40 meters out. Conversion good by Steve Kornock. 40-28 Doylestown. While that ended up being the final score, there was much game left to play. Most of which was defined by incredibly strong scrummaging from Doylestown and great work ethic as they overcame the exhaustion, dug deep, and got the win.

Man of the Match was Scott Neff for playing out of position at prop and having a dominant game throughout despite extreme exhaustion.

Up the Dragons! Next up is at South Jersey this coming Saturday. Keep your eyes peeled on social media for game updates!